Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lucy.. You have some explain' to do..

Why?
When I was completing my BA in Humanities at ASU, I was bound and determined to become a great pastry chef. I rented an apartment literally right across the street from the Scottsdale Culinary Institute. I saw my life full of flour, sugar, and tasty little treats. I didn't do it. I decided to work on my Master's in Library Science instead. My life became full of Dewey, patrons, and sometimes regret.

Then I married the most amazing man. He was almost the one that got away, and then I almost became the one that got away. We figured it out and said our vows. He supports every "Lucy" plan I create. He let me leave the very high paying corporate world and seek new ventures. Last time I checked I don't have a Business degree. For the first couple years of my seeking new ventures, all I found was new debt. Then I sought after new ventures to pay off this debt. I'm still there folks. Business degrees and common sense are underrated, just sayin'.

In that time I have created a successful little store on Etsy, allthingsbelle.etsy.com. But I still longed to be covered in flour and sugar. I created the Busy Izzy Bakery after my daughter, Isabelle, was born. There is no site link because there is no longer a shop at the site. It was going just great! I even got unasked for TV publicity my first month. But the restaurant that so awesomingly allowed me to use their kitchen in off hours was just too far. I couldn't keep up with my orders from my established shop, care for Isabelle and my husband, and still have time to create yummy baked goods. I closed up shop.

Then my mother emailed me a link about Paula Deen's, "Real Women of Philadelphia", Philly Cream Cheese contest. And I remembered. I remembered how bummed I was while my bakery was open that I couldn't enter culinary contests. Even though I wasn't professionally trained, by selling food I was considered a "professional", and unable to enter almost all the contests.

It hit me like a thunderbolt. I had time in the day to create new recipes, I could feed my family the recipe testers, and possibly win enough to pay off my debt. I could fulfill a number of dreams. I could possibly do this before our second child (that's due in October) was delivered.

I got started and got hooked within days. I've Twittered and Facebooked all my plans as if everyone was excited about it as me. And some were. Some wanted more info.

Thus the fabulous creation of the blog!

On this blog, I will keep you updated with contests I'm currently knee deep in, which ones I'm eying, my recipe success and failures. And hopefully with some news of winning a few along the way.

Do I really think I can win them all? Do I really think I can come up with 20K in prize money in a little over 5months? Ask me at different times of the day and you'll get different answers. What I can tell you is I have a dream. And dreams are always worth following..

I hope you enjoy my year long journey.
Today is Day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment